Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Smooth Operator

My favorite breakfast was, is and always will be a delicious fruit smoothie.  A couple of years ago, I started a clean eating cleanse.  I purged sugar, alcohol, meat, dairy and even gluten from my diet for 21 days - I'm still not sure how I did it.  I'm convinced the only reason I was successful is because I wasn't married.  The husband wouldn't let me throw out all the milk and booze these days!  Anyway, it was during that time that I came up with my ultimate smoothie recipe.  With my super-duper workout schedule, I've decided to dust off the blender and bring it back - along with a few modifications.  The recipe is:

1 cup organic soy milk (any milk will do here, cow, soy, almond, etc.)
1 scoop vanilla EAS protein powder
1 banana
1/4 cup frozen unsweetened blueberries
1/2 cup frozen unsweetened strawberries

I start with the banana and the milk and blend until the banana chunks are gone and the milk is frothy.  Then add the protein powder and give the blender another punch.  Now you can add your frozen fruit, and blend until your smoothie is a delicious pinky/purple color.  This makes a pretty good serving - it fills my big pint glass and then some.  The protein powder is not my favorite, it adds a grainy texture to the smoothie - but I know I'll need it with the strain I'm putting on my muscles!  If you decide to do without the powder, I recommend about a tablespoon of agave nectar to sweeten things up a bit.  Yummy!

Now post intense workout, you might want a little energy boost to help you recover.  I like to do my Elvis special!  The recipe:

1 cup (ice cold) soy milk (again, any milk product will do)
1 scoop chocolate EAS protein powder
1 banana
1 scant tablespoon of natural peanut butter
1/4 cup of ice

Throw the ingredients in the blender until smooth and enjoy!  The ice measurement is a guesstimate - basically you just need a li'l somethin' somethin' to make this nice and cold.  Trust me, a room temperature smoothie is nothing but nasty.  Between the protein in the powder and the peanut butter and the potassium in the banana, your muscles will be singing your praises!  (**disclaimer - I am neither a nutritionist nor a dietician nor a trainer nor a person with any kind of special training or knowledge about sports nutrition.  Just saying.)

1 comment:

  1. You have done great job.Well done.Keep it up with new update...
    -----
    Healthblog

    ReplyDelete