Search This Blog

Monday, January 16, 2012

Back in Business

So after a long hiatus from blogging, I think it's time to make this an integral part of my weight loss journey.  I'm also going to start making more of my food logs public by posting them here.  I think that will add some accountability and maybe I'll even get some feedback from readers!  Here's the last seven months in a nutshell:

-In June, I did my first 5k.  I walked nearly all of it, and didn't finish within the maximum time allowed. I got passed by pregnant ladies and old men.  I couldn't breathe from the humidity (I occasionally get exercise-induced asthma).  My husband, who ran it with me, all but said he was embarrassed to cross the finish line with me.  But none of that really mattered, because I finished.  And there's nowhere to go but up after a finish like that :)

-I hired a personal trainer, and have been working with them since September.  This has given me a HUGE boost in setting (and keeping) and exercise routine.  I now workout a minimum of three days a week, but usually do four or five. 

-I've only lost about four pounds.  Eating has been a bit of a struggle, especially with the holidays.  My biggest downfall is the workday.  I eat out almost every day, and while I feel I often make healthy choices, I do sometimes buy a cookie or other treat for the afternoon.  My goal for 2012 is to get better about meal planning both for dinners AND lunches!

-I was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism last year.  I'm hoping this explains a lot about why the weight has been so hard to LOSE.  I'm under no delusion that I can blame my weight gain on this.  Oh no, I own that.  But if it can explain why, even when I've been busting my assets in the gym and following my eating plan to the letter, I'm seeing lukewarm results at best. 

I guess the other big news is that my husband and I are actively trying to conceive.  We started really trying a couple of months ago.  I'm sure that will be a topic of several blog entries in the near future!

I think that pretty accurately sums up the biggest weight loss-related events of 2011.  Now, as promised, my food log!  For now, I'll post what I ate the day before.

Breakfast:
-Morningstar vegetarian "sausage" patty, two
-Whole wheat English muffin with light, whipped cream cheese
-Coffee with flavored creamer

Lunch
-Amy's Organics ravioli with cheese
-Two shortbread cookies

Snacks
-Turkey jerky
-Two clementines

Dinner
-Ham, one half a thick slice
-Sauteed red cabbage and apples (yummy Weight Watchers recipe)

There are several things I'm trying to focus on with my diet this year.  First, I'm trying to eat less meat.  I was vegan for a while, and felt so good.  When I married my husband (who is a carnivore), I added meat back into my diet, mostly out of laziness, but I was also a bit worried about my protein intake.  I'd really like to get back to at least a vegetarian diet, but perhaps enjoy the occasional organic, free-range meat product.  Second, I'm trying to eat less refined carbohydrates/sugar.  Fruit is not an enemy, but I would like to drastically reduce bread and white flour, and of course, sugar.  Third, and I think this one is most important, I'm really trying to reduce pre-packaged meals and preservatives/overly processed foods.  One way I'm working on this is to eat out much less, and to prepare more meals at home.

Okay, I think that's enough for this first dip back into the blogging pool.  Here's to many more in the coming year!

No comments:

Post a Comment