Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Yogaaaaaahhhhh

I found a yoga class at my local community center, and decided to give it a go.  I've done yoga in the past - DVDs, classes at the gym - but I never really could get into it.  It felt too...I don't know, unproductive, hippy-dippy, something.  Maybe it just took age wisdom to figure out that it's a pretty cool thing.  I love it! 

The session I signed up for is only six classes, and I'm now halfway done.  I already feel more strength in my upper body, and it really has given me a new appreciation for my body.  I've spent the last 30 years hating my body for all the things it can't do, for how it looks in tight pants, for not being able to wear tall boots, for being just generally disagreeable.  Imagine my surprise when I learned how good it feels to appreciate your body for all the things it CAN do.  For being strong.  For being able to walk and for breath that allows me to sing and for hands to pet my dogs and touch my husband and arms to wrap around him and other that I love.  Gratitude. 

There are, of course, things my body can't do (yet) - I really struggle with poses that require me to hold myself up with my arms and shoulders, like downward dog and dolphin.  It's always going to be harder to hold up 300+ pounds than it should be.  But I feel strong in poses like warrior and triangle, and I'm getting better.  I think this is going to be a GREAT addition to my fitness routine. 

Food Log
Breakfast: 
Coffee with flavored creamer
Two Primal vegan "jerky" strips
Two clementines

Lunch:
1/2 ham sandwich on white bread with lettuce and onion
Cup of chicken tortilla soup
diet Coke

Dinner:
Bagel with whipped cream cheese
Slice of reduced fat cheddar cheese
Leftover sauteed red cabbage and apples

Snacks:
14 almonds
Two clementines

Exercise - 75 minutes of yoga

   

No comments:

Post a Comment