Search This Blog

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Berry Vanilla Yogurt Oatmeal

If there's one thing I know, what I eat for breakfast tends to set the tone for the entire day.  Drinking a sugary latte and dashing out the door just leads to vending machine meltdown later in the day when I crash.  To start my day off right today, I looked for something tasty with plenty of fiber and protein, but low in sugar.  Here's what I came up with:

1 packet of plain instant oatmeal with flax seed
1 pot of Trader Joe's Organic Vanilla Greek Yogurt (it has delicious flecks of vanilla bean in it!)
1/2 cup of mixed frozen berries (cherries, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries)

I prepared the instant oatmeal in the microwave per package directions, then added the frozen berries.  I added one more minute to the microwave to thaw the berries.  Then I mixed in the tub of yogurt and mixed it together.  I scooped it into a pretty purple glass, because after all, presentation is everything.



This wasn't a bad breakfast - 6 points, and I felt full right up until lunch.  If I did this again, it's missing a little crunch - maybe some granola?  Almonds?  I also think it could have been better with just half the pot of yogurt, thus lowering the points (but also the protein).

3 comments:

  1. Question: when you add the yogurt, does that cool it off and make it a 'cold' meal? Or does it stay warm like heated up oatmeal normally does? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It definitely cools it off - I ate it warmish, I think using only 1/2 the yogurt would cool it off less.

    ReplyDelete