Search This Blog

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Italian Veggie Soup

I made such a tasty soup yesterday!  It's modified from a Weight Watchers recipe.  Get your crockpot out and raid your spice rack.  You'll smell like an Italian grandmother after making this, and the men in your life will love you for it!

4 cups low-sodium fat-free vegetable or chicken broth (I used chicken, I like the flavor)
28 oz. diced tomatoes - I used no salt added cans
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 clove garlic (I actually added a few extra, I LOVE garlic!)
2 bay leaves
1 Tbsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

2 oz. fresh baby spinach (snip off stems on leaves)
1 bag Trader Joe's cheese tortellini (you can use any pasta here, the TJ's bag is about 280 g)

Add all the ingredients to your slow cooker except the pasta and the spinach.  Stir, and cook on high heat for 4-5 hours.  About 20 minutes before you're ready to eat, add the pasta and the spinach.  Stir and let simmer until the pasta is just soft (I like mine a little al dente). 

This should make 8 servings, one cup each, but you'll probably want seconds.  Each 1 cup serving is only 3 Weight Watchers points!  I wish I had a picture - it's really lovely with all the colorful veggies and the tri-color pasta. 

1 comment:

  1. The soup sounds great! I really love food like fills you up really well and you might think it's high calorie, but it's just dense from the volume of all the veggies. I noticed you also had a post about oatmeal. Here's a recipe for baked oatmeal I think is really good. Not sure how many weight watchers points it would be, but I've included the nutrition information so you could figure it out if that's the program you're following. -Kelly http://www.structurehouse.com/blog/2010/09/baked-oatmeal.html

    ReplyDelete