Search This Blog

Friday, January 14, 2011

Product Alert!

I'm always inspired to find new, healthy food after my Weight Watchers meeting.  People often bring in packages of items they've found at the grocery store, or share recipes.  I used to find (on the old program) that often these recipes or items would have a lot of nutritionally void "tricks" to try and keep the calories or the points low, but with the new plan's emphasis on healthy, "power" foods, I don't run into that as much. 

Off I went after my meeting Wednesday, all fueled up on the high of weight loss and good intentions for the week to come.  I walked into the store ready to look for fun, healthy items that would keep me motivated this week.  I, for the most part, try to eat as much whole, clean food as possible.  I look for short ingredient lists, and try to cook from scratch where possible.  I eat almost vegetarian (if it weren't for bacon and bratwurst, I could go all the way).  I also aim to keep most of my purchases organic.  But I'm human - I also look for easy and inexpensive, too!  Can't a girl have it all?  Well...maybe not all...but I found a new product at Super Target that comes pretty darn close!  I bring you...

Amy's Organics Light & Lean!



While you "ooh" and "ahh" over my workplace photography skills, I'll tell you more.  I have always had a love affair with Amy's - I think they make some great stuff (I could marry the roasted vegetable no-cheese pizza), but some of their frozen meals aren't exactly "light".  Well, it looks like they've come up with an option for those of us watching our caloric intake!

I had the Soft Taco Fiesta, and it was like a Mexican party in my mouth.  At $3.50-ish, it's not especially cheap for a frozen meal, but can you really get any easier?  I finished this off, licked my spoon a few times to make sure I didn't miss anything, and I was nice and full.  I sit here an hour later and I still have a nice, warm, full tummy.  Here's the down and dirty: 220 calories, 4.5 grams of fat, and 20% of your daily fiber needs.  It's a little high in sodium at 560mg (23% of your daily needs), but that's usually a given with anything pre-prepared.  Just watch the rest of your intake. 

They also have a Black Bean & Cheese Enchilada, Spinach Lasaga and Pasta & Veggies.  I couldn't bring myself to pay for the Pasta & Veggies, I felt like at $3.50 I could make that on my own for less with minimal effort.  The other varieties, however, are waiting in my freezer for the next workday when I'm too lazy to put a lunch together!   

2 comments:

  1. That looks tasty! I found that the best tasting Smart Ones were the meat free options. Probably because meat takes up a lot of calories, etc. which doesn't leave them much to work with to get a good flavor and texture from the pasta, sauce, etc. and still be low in points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Amy's stuff too. It is pricey but less than when I used to buy lunch out I keep telling myself.

    ReplyDelete